The famous vineyard is located in the north of the commune of Pauillac in the French area of Haut-Médoc(Bordeaux). Directly adjacent to it is Château Mouton-Rothschild. It was first mentioned in writing in 1234, where a Gombaud de Lafite is mentioned, an abbot of the monastery of Vertheuil in the north of Pauillac. Since the 14th century, Lafite has been recorded as a feudal estate. The name "Lafite" is probably derived from the Gascon "la hite", which means "small mountain" or "hill". This is a clear reference to the gentle elevation on which the estate's buildings stand. In the mid-16th century, it was owned by the nobleman Joseph Saubat de Pommiers. After his death, his widow Jeanne de Gasq married the notary Jacques de Ségur (+1691) from the famous noble family in 1670 and brought Lafite as a dowry. At that time there were already small vineyards, but it was only between 1670 and 1680 that vineyards were planted on a larger scale. A piece of land called "Clos de Mouton" later became Château Mouton-Rothschild. His son Alexandre de Ségur married Marie-Thérèse de Clauzel, the heiress of Château Latour, in 1695. At this time, three of the four Premiers Crus classified in 1855 thus belonged to the estate.
wein.plus is a handy, efficient guide to a quick overview of the colourful world of wines, winegrowers and grape varieties. In Wine lexicon, the most comprehensive of its kind in the world, you will find around 26,000 keywords on the subject of grape varieties, wineries, wine-growing regions and much more.Roman Horvath MW
Domäne Wachau (Wachau)