The estate is located in the commune of Talence in the Pessac-Léognan area of Graves (Bordeaux). It is classified as "Cru Classé" for red wine. Its origins go back to the 16th century. In the mid-18th century, it was owned by Guillaume Joseph Saige under the name "La Tour d'Esquivens". His widow refused to emigrate during the French Revolution, although her son Joseph de Fumel (1720-1794), then owner of Château Haut-Brion, was guillotined. By refusing, she saved her estate from confiscation. The present name was created by the Cayrou brothers, who called it their property in the first half of the 19th century. In 1850, the authors Charles Cocks (1812-1854) and Édouard Féret mentioned the name "La Tour Haut-Brion" and stated that the estate produced 25 barrels of wine. Louis Uzac was then owner between 1858 and 1884 and introduced a variety of improvements. The wine merchant Victor Coustau acquired the estate in 1890 and remained its head office, although he also came to own the neighbouring Château La Mission Haut-Brion from 1903. He sold the latter to Otto Frédéric Woltner in 1919.
wein.plus is a handy, efficient guide to a quick overview of the colourful world of wines, winegrowers and grape varieties. In Wine lexicon, the most comprehensive of its kind in the world, you will find around 26,000 keywords on the subject of grape varieties, wineries, wine-growing regions and much more.Roman Horvath MW
Domäne Wachau (Wachau)