The winery is located in the municipality of Léognan in the Pessac-Léognan
area of Graves
(Bordeaux), but should not be confused with the name-like Château Haut-Batailley
(Pauillac). It is classified as "Cru Classé". The traditional estate was acquired around 1630 by the eponymous Parisian banker Firmin Le Bailly. After many changes of ownership, the property fell into decline. In 1955 the Belgian wine merchant Daniel Sanders (+1980) bought the estate and undertook a successful revitalization. His son Jean Sanders sold it in 1998 to the American banker Robert G. Wilmers. However, it is managed by Jean Sanders' granddaughter Veronique Sanders. The vineyards cover 30 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The long-lasting red wine is aged for 16 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Le Parde de Haut-Bailly". In contrast to most Graves vineyards, no white wine is produced.