The winery is located in the commune of Pauillac in the Médoc(Bordeaux) in the commune appellation of the same name. Its origins date back to the 16th century, since when it has long been owned by the Lacoste family and their descendants. The part of the name Grand-Puy (Big Mountain) refers to a district. The château was built around 1850. In the 1855 Bordeaux classification it was awarded fifth place (Cinquième Cru Classé). In 1932 it became the property of Raymond Dupin. After a few years of catastrophes and the Second World War (1939-1945), he sold the property in 1978 to François-Xavier Borie, who renovated the heavily battered château and made improvements in the cellar technology. Since then, the property has been managed under the company name "Domaines François-Xavier Borie" by François-Xavier Borie. The vineyards cover 45 hectares of vines, planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (75%), Merlot (20%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The extremely long-lasting red wine matures for 18 to 20 months in one third new barriques. The second wine is called "Lacoste-Borie". See the closely interwoven Borie and Castéja family history under Borie-Manoux.