The winery is located in the commune of Pauillac
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux) in the communal appellation of the same name. Its origins date back to the 17th century, when a large estate belonged to Artigues Arnaud. His grandson Pierre Ducasse, one of the largest landowners in Pauillac at the time, acquired part of it in the 18th century and expanded the property. The estate was given the name "Ducasse-Grand-Puy-Artigues-Arnaud". The part of the name Grand-Puy (Big Mountain) refers to a district in Pauillac. It then came into the possession of the company Mestrezat, later Cordier Mestrezat
and was sold to Banque Crédit-Agricole in 2004. In the 1855 Bordeaux Classification
, the estate was awarded fifth place (Cinquième Cru Classé) under its old name.
The property covers 50 hectares of land and is divided into three parts. The northern part borders Château Mouton-Rothschild
and Château Lafite-Rothschild
, one part is in the Grand-Puy district and the southern part is on the Saint-Lambert plateau. The château and the cellars are located on the banks of the Garonne
in Pauillac. The vineyards cover 38 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (60%) and Merlot (40%). The long-lasting red wine is aged for 18 to 24 months in up to 40% new barriques. The second wines are called "Prélude à Grand-Puy Ducasse" and (in homage to the historical landowner) "Château Artigues-Arnaud".