The winery is located in the community of Oestrich-Winkel in the German Rheingau wine region. The castle was built by the family of the Reichsfreiherren von Greiffenclau at the beginning of the 14th century, the name "Vollrads" is probably derived from a personal name already mentioned in 1268. The family tree of the Greiffenclau family can be traced back to the year 1097. Georg Philipp von Greiffenclau had the actual manor house built in 1684 next to the residential tower, which Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) found "whimsical" when he visited it in 1814. The von Greiffenclau family produced many important personalities, including archbishops and electors of Mainz and Trier and prince-bishops of Würzburg. Erwein Count Matuschka-Greiffenclau (1938-1997) as the 27th scion of the family was president of the Rheingau Wine Growers' Association from 1990 to 1997. With his death, the almost 800-year-old family tradition of winegrowing at Schloss Vollrads came to an end. From 1979 to 1997 the neighbouring Fürst Löwenstein estate was leased and is now once again managed independently.