Single location in the community of Burkheim (Kaiserstuhl area) in the German growing region of Baden
. It is located on the western edge of the "Burkheim Castle", which has only existed as a ruin since 1762. The first vine plantations are already mentioned in Frankish times around 750 in the course of the planting of terraced vineyards. The vineyards, some of which are terraced from west to east with a slope gradient of 0 to 35%, cover 58 hectares of vineyard area. In the lower area a hollow is formed which protects against winds. The soils are composed of lava and tuffs of volcanic weathering bedrock overlaid with loess, which has a good water retention capacity
. The Burgundy varieties are mainly cultivated here. Members of the cooperative Burkheimer Winzer am Kaiserstuhl
, for example, as well as the Bercher
winery, have shares in the site
There are further individual sites called Schlossgarten (or castle garden) in the municipalities/anau areas of Bretzenheim (Nahe), Burrweiler, Friedelsheim (Palatinate), Geisenheim (Rheingau), Hügelheim (Baden), Kirchheimbolanden, Kleinniedesheim (Palatinate), Massenheim (Rheingau), Offstein (Rheinhessen) and Schweppenhausen (Nahe).