DOCG area for red wine in the Italian region of Tuscany. The vineyards are located at an altitude of 250 to 400 metres above sea level in the two municipalities of Carmignano and Poggio a Caiano on the northern slopes of Monte Albano on the north bank of the Arno River in the province of Prato, 15 kilometres northwest of Florence. A red wine from this area was already famous in the 14th century and was praised at the time as "foaming Carmignano" or one of the most prestigious and expensive in Florence. Through the Grand Duke Cosimo III. (1642-1723) from the Medici family, this wine received legal status as early as 1716 and was one of the first wines in Italy as well as in Europe to receive a protected designation of origin with defined boundaries. At that time, it was regularly delivered to the English royal family in London. As early as the 18th century, Cabernet Sauvignon (referred to here as Uva Francesca), imported from France, was blended with it. In 1975, this was the first DOC area in Tuscany (long before Chianti) to officially allow the use of Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1990, it received DOCG classification (retroactively from 1988).