The Italian winery is located in Erbusco west of Brescia in the east of the Lombardy region. It was founded in 1968 by the famous winemaker Maurizio Zanella. He studied in France at the University of Oenology in Bordeaux and at the Station Oenologique de Bourgogne in Beaune. The French oenologist Émile Peynaud (1912-2004) was consulted when the vineyards were replanted in the 1970s. Zanella hired the cellar master André Dubois from the Champagne house Moët et Chandon in Champagne and Brian Larky from the University of California to manage the entire company.
An ultra-modern winery of superlatives in terms of architecture and technical infrastructure was built. Half of the small mountain on which the estate is located was dug up and a star-shaped cellar was created. Its centrepiece is a seven-metre high room resembling a cathedral. Above the cellar there is a helicopter landing pad. The catacombs, which are built deep in the ground, are ideal for the extremely long storage in barrels, barriques and bottles because of the naturally constant temperature. Today, the vineyards cover about 100 hectares of vines, planted with autochthonous and international varieties.