DOC area for white, red and rosé wines in the central eastern part of the Italian region of Tuscany, named after the municipality on the Livorno coast. The vineyards, which at the end of the 1990s covered only 200 hectares, now cover over 1,100 hectares around the municipality of Castagneto Carducci in the province of Livorno. This was named after the literary historian Giosuè Carducci (1835-1907), who spent his childhood there. Bolgheri is a hamlet eight kilometres to the north of the town, to which the Oasi di Bolgheri Nature Reserve belongs. Antinori and Gaja are among the most famous and largest producers. The picture shows the Bellaria Alta vineyard of the Ornellaia winery with a view of the sea with the municipality of Marina di Bibbona on the coast.
The Bianco is blended from Vermentino (max. 70%), Sauvignon (max. 70%), Trebbiano Toscano (max. 40%), as well as other approved varieties (max. 30%). Rosso and Rosato are blended in any use of Cabernet Sauvignon and/or Merlot and/or Cabernet Franc (up to 100%), Syrah (max. 50%), Sangiovese (max. 50%) and other approved red varieties (max. 30%). The Rosso Superiore has to mature for 26 months, of which at least 12 months in oak barrels. The two pure white wines Sauvignon (Blanc) and Vermentino must contain at least 85% of the respective variety, the rest can be approved white varieties.
The red wine from the "Sassicaia" site (named after the stony soil, sassi = stones) became famous at the end of the 1960s and contributed to the success of the so-called Super Tuscans. It is classified as a separate DOC area Bolgheri Sassicaia and is owned by a single winery, Tenuta San Guido. Mostly, however, this wine is called Sassicaia for short and is also, so to speak, a synonym for the winery.
Picture: © Jobst von Volckamer