The winery (also known as "BV") in the AVA Rutherford in California's Napa Valley was founded in 1900 by the Frenchman Georges de Latour, who was originally from Burgundy. His wife Fernande noticed "Quel beau lieu" (what a beautiful place) during the first visit to the property, from which the name is derived. Before the American prohibition the best Californian Cabernet Sauvignon was produced here. The winery survived the prohibition of alcohol from 1920 to 1933 with difficulty by obtaining a licence for the production of mess wine. In 1937 Latour engaged the young André Tchelistcheff (1900-1998), this was the lucky choice par excellence. When he started, there were almost 30 different wines in the program and the grape varieties were grown wildly mixed up. This was the first thing he changed. He then worked for Beaulieu for a total of 35 years as chief oenologist, introducing his groundbreaking innovations in hygiene, temperature-cooled fermentation, frost prevention by wind machines, etc. For some time, the later famous winemakers Miljenko "Mike" Grgich (born 1923) and Joe Heitz (1919-2000) and Robert Mondavi (1913-2008) worked at the winery as assistants.