wein.plus
Attention
You are using an old browser that may not function as expected. For a better, safer browsing experience, please upgrade your browser.

Log in Become a Member

Aile d’Argent

The white wine (Engl. "Silver Wings") of the Château Mouton-Rothschild; see there.

The famous winery is located in the north of the commune of Pauillac in the area of the same name in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). Adjacent to it is Château Lafite-Rothschild. Mouton is the French word for "sheep" (ram) and a ram's head is also the logo of the house - a gold one hangs in the entrance hall of the Châteaux. But actually the name is derived from "Mothon", which means "hill" or "elevation". The origin of the estate is a plot of land called "Clos de Mouton" owned by the notary Jacques de Ségur (+1691). This famous noble family owned huge estates, including the predecessors of the three wineries Château Latour, Château Lafite-Rothschild and also Château Mouton-Rothschild. The grandson Nicolas-Alexandre de Ségur (1697-1755) drew the final line between the parts of Lafite and neighbouring Mouton, which differ fundamentally in terms of terroir and thus also in the style of wine

Châtau Mouton-Rothschild

Around 1725, the Mouton part was sold to Baron Joseph de Brane, who named his property "Château Brane-Mouton". It remained in this family until 1830, when it was sold for 1.124 million francs to the Parisian banker Isaac Thuriet (although some sources mention the year 1825 and the banker is also mentioned in the spelling Thuret). The latter then sold the estate, which at that time covered 35 hectares of vineyards, on 11 May 1853 to Baron Nathaniel de Rothschild (1812-1870) of the English branch of this large family. The Baron had moved from London to Paris three years earlier with his wife Charlotte (a cousin) to work in the bank of his father-in-law and uncle Baron James de Rothschild (1792-1868). Baron James then bought Château Lafite 15 years later and added the Rothschild name.

Rothschild - Porträts von Mayer Amschel Rothschild, Jakob Rothschild und Nathaniel Rothschild

Baron Nathaniel gave his new property the name "Château Mouton-Rothschild". At that time it only consisted of some barns and halls, a Château did not exist yet. In the 1855 Bordeaux Classification, the estate "only" received the second place "Deuxième Cru Classé". However, the title "Premier des Seconds" (first of the second) was added as a "consolation" so to speak. Nathaniel was followed by his son James (1844-1881), who began building a stately home. It was only completed by his widow Thérèse. James Rothschild was followed by his son Henri (1872-1947), who was less interested in wine than in art. The estate was quite run down in its time, with mismanagement and unfair activities of employees contributing to this. His son, Philippe de Rothschild (1902-1988), had spent some time on the estate as a young man during the First World...

The world's largest Lexicon of wine terms.

25,689 Keywords · 47,093 Synonyms · 5,310 Translations · 31,006 Pronunciations · 173,088 Cross-references
made with by our author Norbert F. J. Tischelmayer. About the Lexicon

EVENTS NEAR YOU